Monday, August 9, 2010

more rambling about preparation...

So I'm back from yet another magical summer in Mentone, trying to process the amazing 2 months I had while simultaneously preparing for 4 months away...slightly overwhelming! And those 4 months will begin really, really soon! I only have 9 more days left at home, which is really hard to believe. These days, my house in Tupelo just feels like a rest stop along the way.

I'm definitely dealing with the empty feeling I normally have in the weeks after camp ends, but thankfully, it's less overwhelming than usual because I have Italy to look forward to. And I say "look forward" as if it's months away- I'm leaving on the 18th!
As the date approaches, my excitement is paired with more nervousness than I really expected to feel. I can't wait for the adventure-being in a new place, soaking up another culture, making new connections with people, getting a break from the typical college life, and just wandering around taking it all in. But in coming home from camp and thinking about what's made the past 2 months so incredible, I’ve become a little anxious.

Camp is just such an uplifting environment. Everyone is there to encourage, and every day I can find motivation and satisfaction because my role, purpose, and intentions are so clear to me. It’s a cliche, but only because it’s true: I find joy in the simplest things and meaning in everything. It’s a very intentional community where everyone is committed to Christ and each other and finding Christ in each other. On top of that, putting others’ needs ahead of my own and focusing daily on serving and giving is just so fulfilling, even on the toughest days. And now, after months of living in such a supportive and bonded community, I’m going to be transported halfway across the world to a place where I don’t speak the language, don’t know a soul, and probably won’t be concerned with many needs other than those of me, myself, and I. And there’s a tiny part of me that’s nervous about the isolation that I might feel. Good conversation is one of the main things that keeps me going every day, one of the main things I seek out and look forward to, so being able to communicate on only a very basic level will probably become really frustrating after a while. Oh well, I guess that’s what Skype is for. :)

The tiny bit of nervousness I have about leaving for four months is still no match for the excitement and curiosity I have, though. I love the thought of centuries of rich history and culture being on display everywhere I turn. Living in Florence I’m going to see things I’ve spent hours studying in class practically right outside my door-yet it will all feel new and unfamiliar and inspiring. I love that paradox. I can’t wait to just be absolutely amazed by seemingly simple things like the street I’ll be walking on or the dialects I’ll be hearing. It really can’t get here soon enough!!

While waiting for the day to get here, I’m not doing much other than reading magazines, stalking people on Facebook, staring at the mountain of clothes on my floor, and listening to music (I can’t get enough of this John Prine tribute album that was released in June and has some of my favorite artists covering some of his best songs…too good!! It’s a healthy dose of good ole Americana I won’t be hearing much when I get over to Florence). :D I haven't done anything remotely Italian, except my dad bought these really delicious Keebler Town House crackers and I've developed a bit of an addiction and the flavor happens to be called "Italian Herbs." Also (and this isn't anything Italy-related) I’ve been listening to really odd combinations of music since I got home from camp-like, Jay-Z (“Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem),” specifically) combined with Sugar Ray (????), hymns, Phoenix, and Patty Griffin odd. Like…what?? Also, Bieber fever has followed me home from camp, or at least ‘Baby’ has. LUDA!
I’m not really expecting this tangent to go anywhere so I’ll wrap this up for now. Stay tuned if I haven’t bored you to death already!! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment